March Calendar of Famous People & Fun Learning Activities
March is full of mixture. From fresh, tender blooms, and new, baby animals to spring cleaning and spring fever. As homeschoolers, it is a blessed season of indoor and outdoor learning activities coming back into balance. The March calendar of famous people offers exciting learning for every day of the month – not just St. Patrick’s Day!
Learning about Ireland and its patron saint is fun for any age, but there are 34 other famous people to celebrate and 9 fun days to celebrate in March too. Middle schoolers and high schoolers can learn a new skill, practice art, or find an interesting individual to research for a presentation.
Get your Hello March Calendar of Famous People and Fun Activities for upper elementary through high school students at the end of this post.
What’s in the Hello March! Calendar of Famous People?
This month, the calendar contains 13 famous writers, poets, artists, or musicians. Some may surprise you. Included are:
- Sandro Botticelli – Italian Renaissance Artist
- Sholem Aleichem [Solomon Rabinowitz] – Yiddish author & playwright best known for Fiddler on the Roof.
- Theodor Geisel’s (Dr. Seuss) – American children’s book author
- Antonio Vivaldi – Italian Composer
- Michelangelo – Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning – British Poet
- Robert Frost – American poet
- Vincent van Gogh – Dutch artist, painter, and pioneer of Expressionism
- Johann Sebastian Bach – German composer
- Plus 4 more modern singers, composers, and authors.
There are also 13 famous scientists, explorers, and inventors that were born in March included in the download. Your 6th-12th grade students will enjoy learning more about engines, space, x-rays, and exploration through the ages. These make perfect mini-studies for those needing resources for a presentation or research project.
Here’s the list of famous scientists, explorers, and inventors included in the March calendar:
- George M. Pullman -, Inventor of the railway sleeping car.
- Alexander Graham Bell – Inventor of the telephone
- Prince Henry the Navigator – Explorer
- Valentina Tereshkova – The first woman in space.
- Amerigo Vespucci – Explorer
- Albert Einstein – Scientist
- Gottlieb Daimler – German inventor, who designed 1st motorcycle
- Rudolf Diesel – French-born German engineer who invented the diesel engine.
- David Livingstone – famous missionary, physician and explore from Scotland.
- Joseph Priestley – famous English chemist, theologian, and author
- Wilhelm Röntgen’ – German physicist who discovered X-rays.
- Robert Bunsen – German chemist who invented the Bunsen Burner.
- René Descartes – French philosopher
Historical Figures Born in March
There are also so many well-known activists, historical figures, and US presidents that a day won’t go by without something fun to do. There is a nice variety across the various ages and stages of history, making it easy to find an interesting topic no matter what your focus is this month.
- Saint David, patron saint of Wales
- Henry II, King of England
- David II Bruce, King of the Scots
- Rob Roy – Scottish folk hero.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. – US 59th Supreme Court Justice
- Ferdinand II, king of Aragon (Spain)
- Giuliano de’ Medici – son of the famous monarch family of Florence, Italy.
- Saint Nicholas’ [Nikolaos of Myra] – Bishop who became the model for Santa Claus
- Andrew Jackson – 7th US President
- James Madison – 4th US President
- Grover Cleveland – 22nd and 24th US President
- Arthur Neville Chamberlain – former British Prime Minister
- William Bradford – first Governor of Plymouth colony
- John Tyler – 10th US President
- Cesar Chavez – American farm labor leader
If your upper-grade homeschoolers are looking for resources for a really unique study or report, the Hello March Famous People Calendar has 12 more well-known people included. These create the perfect opportunity to spice up a boring presentation or clear out the spring fever cobwebs.
Fun Activities Included in March
Don’t miss out on celebrating a few of these special days too.
- Read Across America Day
- National Anthem Day (US)
- World Storytelling Day
- Pi Day (3.14)
- National Proofreading Day
- World Kidney Day
- Alfred Hitchcock Day
- The Ides of March
- Tolkien Reading Day
To make it as ‘open and go’ as possible, the March calendar includes links to notebooking pages, as well as music and literature suggestions. It is chock full of video resources from exciting museums as well as the resources to help you learn about famous Americans and the states they call home.
Have fun in March celebrating the well known holidays and some of the famous people born this month. Everything you need is in the March Calendar of Famous People & Fun Activities.
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.
FREE David Livingstone Resources
David Livingstone: Missionary, Physician, and Explorer. The extraordinary life of David Livingstone
March Calendar: Famous People & Fun Activities
March Calendar of Famous People & Fun Learning Activities March is full of mixture. From fresh,
Free Ferris Wheel Mini Unit Resources
Free Ferris Wheel STEM Project Resources Learning about the Ferris wheel is so much fun! Understand
February Calendar: Famous People & Fun Activities
February Calendar of Famous People & Fun Learning Activities February can be full of frosty fun
5 Ways Hands-On Projects Helps Kids Excel in Academics
Hands-on projects are simply ways to allow your kids to learn by doing. Instead of instructing a chi
Free Resources for When Your Child Wants to Start Babysittin
Is your child at babysitting age? Don’t panic, it will be OK. I have you covered. Grab these free
Homeschool Behavior Issues? Kiss Them Good-Bye with These Tr
The following post comes from an interview between host Stephanie and her guests Judy and Sarah. Wat