A few years ago I realized we needed to beef up my daughter’s reading comprehension skills. I found a book that had short passages of text followed by a few questions…and it did help.
But the text she read was irrelevant. She thought it was old-fashioned and found it boring.
I decided that it would be in our best interest if she had reading comprehension passages that expanded on what we were already studying in science, history, and geography.
So we spent over a year creating Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research, suitable for grades 4-8, but flexible.
MORE THAN JUST READING COMPREHENSION
Short nonfiction lessons in science, history, and geography
Includes Q&A, prompts for additional research, and notebooking pages
Our full-year of nonfiction reading comprehension lessons cover many different topics such as:
- United States Geography – learn about the different regions of the United States.
- Natural Disasters – volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes & more
- Weather – meteorology, clouds, precipitation, floods, lightning, thunder & more
- Human Body Systems – learn about each system in the human body.
- Seven Wonders of the Natural World – Aurora Borealis, Mount Everest, Victoria Falls, Grand Canyon, Great Barrier Reef & more
- Seven Wonders of the Ancient World – Lighthouse of Alexandria, Colossus at Rhodes, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Pyramids of Egypt at Giza & more
- Seven Wonders of the Medieval World – Stonehenge, Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Great Wall of China & more
- Seven Wonders of the Age of Steam – Transcontinental Railroad, London Sewers, Brooklyn Bridge, Eiffel Tower & more
- Seven Wonders of the Modern World – Panama Canal, Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge & more
- Solar System – learn about the wonders of the solar system.
In addition to reading comprehension questions, each lesson is followed by prompts for additional research and a notebooking page to record what is found. Each unit concludes with a diagramming or labeling activity related to the unit.
Answer keys for all reading comprehension questions are included at the end of the book.
There are 75 reading comprehension lessons in 10 units that explore science, history, and geography. Each unit is completely self-contained and you can skip around and do whichever ones interest your student or align with what you are studying at the time.
Carrie is the owner & operator of Homeschool Giveaways. She has been homeschooling for over a decade and has successfully graduated her first homeschooler. She has two girls and works side by side at home with her awesome husband. She has been saved by grace, fails daily, but continues to strive toward the prize of the high calling of being a daughter of the Most High God.
Free Resources for Studying John Bunyan & His Works
Want to learn about an author who sought to bring the gospel to ordinary people, like you and me? Th
FREE Sports Equipment Cut and Paste Activity
Do you have a child who loves sports? This is the perfect hands-on activity for those rainy days whe
FREE Resources for Discovering Acadia National Park
This summer has not been like other summers. Vacations, and many plans and fun family trips have bee
Awesome Resources for Preschool Learning 'Like the Big Kids'
Awesome resources to help your preschoolers 'learn like the big kids'. If there are older siblings
Resources for Learning About Peru
Are you studying about the countries of the world or South America? Check out these resources for le
How to Teach Your Child to Cook - Even If You Don't
We can't all be perfect. Some of us can cook well and some of us… well, not so much. Get some tips
Free Resources to Learn About Sign Language
September 23rd is the International Day of Sign Language. Grab these free resources to learn about s